Monday, April 7, 2008

Psychology of Communication

I realize this doesn't really have anything to do with pixels, but I just love discussion of psychology and of communication trends in this day and age of internet technology. So a recent article on instant messaging and introverted personalities was right up my alley.

Instant Messaging for Introverts by Joe Kissel
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9544

Being an introvert myself, it was nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who doesn't answer the phone just because it rings. One comment I found interesting was near the end as Joe was discussing how introverts and extroverts should develop a method to meet each other half way instead of requiring the other side to simply adopt what they feel is easiest.

... Several people I discussed this issue with expressed dismay at having had relationships deteriorate due to an unwillingness on another person's part to adapt to changing technology. For example, people who don't use email don't get evites, and so they end up being excluded from parties. Once someone has adapted to a new mode of communication, it becomes harder to communicate with people who use the previous standard, so more often than not, we won't make the effort...

I guess that's the challenge most of the world faces to some degree or another (probably every since the tower of babel). How do we communicate to various types of people across different cultures and different languages. Personality type is another characteristic we can start keeping in mind.

No comments: